Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, 10 March 2009

Indonesia's Kalla to Run for President

JAKARTA - It is almost certain that Indonesia's Vice President Jusuf Kalla will not continue his partnership with President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono to form the next government.

Mr Kalla has confirmed that he will be the Golkar Party's presidential candidate in July's election.

In a 90-minute interview shown on a local television channel, Vice President Kalla said his decision to run for the presidency was initiated by Golkar - the party which he chairs.

"The provincial party leaders approached me first. I didn't ask for it. But they insisted and I accepted," he said.

Mr Kalla said his candidacy will be endorsed by Golkar Party leaders after next month's parliamentary election.

He revealed that he considered continuing his partnership with President Yudhoyono, which most polls show to be the team most likely to win at the coming election. But he had to give in to his party's wishes.

Most surveys show that Mr Kalla is less popular than President Yudhoyono and former president Megawati. But Mr Kalla is determined to do battle.

"I've made up my mind and I'm confident of my decision. I will work hard. I'm determined to achieve my objective. I will shoulder the risks," he said.

Mr Kalla predicts there will only be three presidential candidates for the July election, since only a party or a coalition with 20 per cent of the parliamentary votes can nominate a candidate.

He is confident that his Golkar Party - winner of the last parliamentary election - will once again come out tops.

How successful Mr Kalla will be in his quest to be Indonesia's president depends on how well his Golkar party perform in next month's parliamentary election.

A convincing margin at the polls will give him a strong mandate in choosing coalition partners to mount a serious challenge to President Yudhoyono and form the next government.(CNA) (//mbs)



0 comments:

CONTENT BLOGGER HERE
CONTENT TWITTER HERE
CONTENT FACEBOOK HERE